“The ways of getting energy to produce electric energy is generally called as Energy Resources.”
It is a known fact that the fundamental component of our daily life is energy. Energy resources are essential for any society, be it one dependent on subsistence farming or an industrialised country. There are many different sources of energy, some well-known such as coal or petroleum, others less so, such as tides or the heat inside the Earth.
Energy resources is different from types of energy. Energy resource is the way of getting energy.
Types of sources available for electric energy
Generally energy resources are available in nature. They are
- Renewable resources
- Non renewable resources
- Inexhaustible energy resources
Renewable Energy Sources
Non Renewable Energy Sources
Inexhaustible energy resources
Inexhaustible energy resources are resources that are constantly produced.
- The resource from the sun in the form of radiations is the solar energy. Sun is a source of enormous energy.
- It is believed that with just 0.1 per cent of the 75,000 trillion KWH of solar energy resource that reaches the earth, the planet’s energy requirements can be fulfilled.
- It is the resource produced from biological systems.
- Bio-energy resource is produced either by direct use of biomass or its conversion into gaseous or liquid fuels and includes biogas.
- Wind has kinetic energy by virtue of the movement of large masses of air caused by differential heating of the atmosphere by the sun.
- This resource can be utilised for performing mechanical and electrical works.
- Wind turbines can be used to generate electricity, for lifting water from wells and for direct water pumping.
- Geothermal energy is the energy resource produced by natural processes occurring within the earth.
- The major source of this energy (in the form of heat) is molten underground rock or magma.
- Geothermal energy is extracted for heating and power generation from natural steam, hot water or dry rocks in the Earth’s crust.
Points to Remember
- Electric energy cannot be created not destroyed.
- Electric energy can transform form one form to another form of energy.
- Hence primary energy resources are needed to produce electric energy.
- Two types of energy sources, renewable and non renewable energy resource.
- Since non renewable energy resources are depleting , future electric energy needs can be satistified by renewable energy resources.
Other types of Atomic Energy