Atomic Energy Act
The concept of atom has existed for many centuries. But in recent years, we began to understand the enormous power generated by atomic energy/nuclear energy Atomic Energy Act is a stock short title used for legislation in the UK and the US relating to atomic energy.
- In the US, there are two federal laws known by the name:
- The United States Atomic Energy Act of 1946 .
- The United States Atomic Energy Act of 1954
- In the UK, there are two federal laws known by the name:
- The Atomic Energy Act 1946
- The Atomic Energy (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1981
- The Atomic Energy Act 1989
Atomic Energy Act,1946
- Atomic Energy Act, 1946 was determined by US federal government.
- Atomic Energy Act, 1946 control and manage the nuclear development.
- Atomic Energy Act, 1946 Act ruled that nuclear weapon development and nuclear power management would be under civilian, rather than military control.
- Atomic Energy Act, 1946 established the US Atomic Energy Commission for the above mentioned purpose.
Atomic Energy Act,1954
- Atomic Energy Act, 1954 states that “the fundamental U.S. law on both the civilian and the military uses of nuclear materials.”
- Atomic Energy Act, 1954 covers the laws for the development, regulation, and disposal of nuclear materials and facilities in the US.
- Atomic Energy Act, 1954 conduct, assist and foster research on atomic energy.
- Atomic Energy Act, 1954 encourage scientific and industrial progress regarding atomic energy.
- Te common defense and security and with the health and safety of the public is monitored by this Act.
Atomic Energy Act,1981
- Atomic Energy Act ,1981 relates with the Extension of power of Atomic Energy Authority and Secretary of State to dispose of shares etc.
Important events in history of atomic energy
- In 1780 German scientist Martin Heinrich Klaproth discovers Uranium. That becomes the keystone of atomic energy.
- In march 1986 French scientist Antoine Becquerel discovers radioactivity.
- In 1934 Italian scientist Enrico Fermi shows that neutrons can split atoms.
- In July 1939 Enrico Fermi and Leo Sziland propose a idea of nuclear reactor that uses Uranium fuel.
- In December 1951, First electric energy from a nuclear power plant was produced in Arco,Idaho. It powers four electric bulbs.
- Finally world’s first commercial nuclear power plant opens in obninsk soviet union. It has 6 megawatt capacity.
Other types of Atomic Energy