What is atomic energy?
Atomic energy is energy released through at atom force field
The energy released by an atom is called atomic energy.
What is an atom?
- Atoms are the building blocks of universe.
- They are very tiny particles.
- Its very hard to imagine even its size.
- The centre of atom is called nucleus.
What is an atom?
- Atom is made of tiny particles called protons and neutrons.
- Electrons circle around the nucleus in clouds, or shells, far from the nucleus.
- When an atom is in balance, it has the same number of protons and electrons.
- Atom can have a different number of neutrons.
- Electrons stay in their shells because a special force holds them.
- Protons and electrons of atom are attracted to each other.
- We say protons have a positive charge (+) and the electrons have a negative charge (-).
The electrons near the nucleus are held tight to the atom while sometimes the ones further out are not. These electrons can be made to move out of their orbits.
- When atoms are combined or fused together to form a new atom, then energy is released. This is called nuclear fusion.
- The best example for nuclear fusion is Sun.
- It is well known that we get energy from sun. Do u know how??!!
- Energy is produced from the sun when the Hydrogen atom undergoes fusion to form helium atoms.
- When a single atom is made to split into smaller atoms then, energy is released. This is called nuclear fission.
- In industries Uranium atom is spitted into smaller uranium atoms to produce electric energy.
- Uranium is a mineral rock, a very dense metal that is found in the ground.
Advantages of Atomic energy
- The energy produced from the atoms does not pollute the air.
- Energy produced from atoms are of low cost & available at stable prices.
- The radio isotopes formed from an atom can be used in medical, agriculture and in more fields.
Disadvantages of atomic energy
- The radioactivity released from an atom is dangerous and it takes years to lose its effect.
- Misuse of atomic energy increases terrorism.
Important events in history of atomic energy
- In 1780 German scientist Martin Heinrich Klaproth discovers Uranium. That becomes the keystone of atomic energy.
- In march 1986 French scientist Antoine Becquerel discovers radioactivty.
- In 1934 Italian scientist Enrico Fermi shows that neutrons can split atoms.
- In July 1939 Enrico Fermi and Leo Sziland propose a idea of nuclear reactor that uses Uranium fuel.
- In December 1951, First electric energy from a nuclear power plant was produced in Arco,Idaho. It powers four electric bulbs.
- Finally world’s first commercial nuclear power plant opens in obninsk soviet union. It has 6 megawatt capacity.
Other types of Atomic Energy