Alternatives to oil energy
Oil energy is mightily useful. But it is non-renewable and it causes global warming. So people are going for other alternatives. Some of them are:
- Nuclear energy
- Solar energy
- Hydro energy
- Wave energy
- Geo-thermal energy
- Ocean energy
- Wind energy
Nuclear energy is produced from two famous process. They are nuclear fission and nuclear fusion.
Nuclear fission: In nuclear fission, an atomic nucleus of a radioactive element splits by bombardment from an external source, with simultaneous release of large amounts of energy, used for electric power generation
Nuclear fusion: In nuclear fusion, multiple nuclei are joined together to form a single big nucleus. During this, large amount of energy is released. The energy from sun is obtained from the fusion reactions that is taking place in the sun.
- The energy that is obtained from the sun is known as solar energy.
- As we all know, sun the primary source for all the energy.
- Solar energy is a green energy.
- It is called so because it does not produce any pollution.
- Solar cells and batteries are used to store solar energy and use them when sun is not available.
- They are costlier but they would be helpful in a long run.
- Nowadays, the use of solar water heaters has increased to some extent.
- Hydro energy is a clean, renewable and reliable energy source which converts kinetic energy from falling water into electricity, without consuming more water than is produced by nature.
- Hydro energy is the energy available in either running or falling water or both, which may be harnessed for useful purposes such as irrigation, power houses, saw mills etc.
- Since ancient times, hydro energy has been used to irrigate the farms and to power mills to grind grains.
- Wave energy is produced when the generators are placed in the surface of the ocean.
- The energy is mainly used for desalination of salt water (process of removing salt content from the salt water, so as to make it drinkable).
- Some of the factors that determine the output of wave energy are height of the wave, speed of the wave and the density of the wave.
- ·This type of energy source also does not produce any pollution.
- Geothermal energy is generated from the heat present in the earth.
- It is a newly found alternative.
- The temperature of earth increases as we dig deep.
- Thus the heat of the earth below the surface will be high. This heat is used to vaporize the water. This steam is used to run the turbine.
- Two pipes will be dig deep into the earth. One pipe is to let the water in. And the other one is to get the steam out.
- The earth receives 1.74 x 1017 watts of power (per hour) from the sun. About one or 2 percent of this energy is converted to wind energy.
- A windmill is used to produce the electricity. It has many specially designed blades, which rotate when wind strikes them. Which in turn rotates the turbine and hence produces the electricity.
- Nowadays many people are using wind energy to produce electricity.
- The kinetic energy of the wind is converted into other forms of energy with the help of the windmill.
Oil Energy of Alternatives
More information coming soon on Alternatives to oil energy
Other types of Oil Energy