Facts on Hydro energy
- It provides 10% of the nation’s energy and is renewable.
- Cragside in Rothbury, England is the oldest hydroelectric plant.
- La Grande in Quebec, Canada is the largest hydroelectric plant.
- Fox River near Appleton, Wisconsin was the first hydroelectric plant in the United States opened during September 30, 1882.
- The major hydroelectric plant in the United States is Niagara Falls.
- Grand Coulee in Washington, US has 33 generators which are the largest site.
- 28.3 million people meet their electricity needs worldwide by hydroelectric power generation.
- Half of the electricity is generated from hydroelectric power in the US and is concentrated in Oregon, Washington and California.