Hydro energy pros and cons
Advantages of Hydro energy
- Hydropower is eco-friendly since it is fuelled by water and therefore it is a clean fuel source. They do not produce greenhouse gases like other fuels.
- It is a domestic source because it can be produced in own states without depending on international sources for fuel.
- Hydropower can be used as a backup power during major electrical disruptions because they facilitate quick to go from zero power to maximum output and hence generate electricity immediately.
- Hydropower efforts are useful in flood control, water supply and irrigation.
- Electricity is produced at a constant rate with cheaper price comparatively, once the dam is constructed.
- Hydropower in the reservoirs recreates a variety of opportunities such as boating, fishing, swimming etc. which is accessed by the public to use these offers.
Disadvantages of Hydro energy
- It is very expensive to build dams and finding a place suitable to build a dam is difficult.
- The natural environment is destroyed.
- The natural flow of water is sometimes changed due to which plants and animals in the water may get affected.
- It is possible to affect wildlife and damage areas when they are flooded upstream.
- During droughts, electricity generation becomes difficult and energy prices vary.